From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 18:40:04 PST

U.C. BERKELEY
                         CS 294-6
                        Multimedia
                      Jean Paul Jacob

    INFORMATICS: THE FUTURE IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE !! Part II

                  Monday, February 6, 1995
                   4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
                 Soda Hall Auditorium, #306

There is a principle in computer technology which says that the power
of computers (ie, microprocessors)  doubles every 18 months. This is
commonly known as Moore's Law. Is it true ? If "yes", for how long
can we continue to double the power of computers every 18 months ?
Which will be the consequences in the scenarios of the future which
we sketched in the last lecture ?

In this lecture we will see a generalization of Moore's Law, which we
call L.A. Law. Examples will be the power of microprocessors, memory
capacity, magnetic and optical storage. Consequences of L.A. Law
will be multimedia, virtual reality, speech recognition and
synthesis, personal digital assistants, nano-robots navigating
in our blood vessels, film-less cameras, ....

This lecture will be delivered with side-by-side slide images. At
the end of the lecture as well as in the lecture of Feb. 13 we will
use a personal computer to give a complete multimedia demo and
lecture on ... what is multimedia. This will show, in effect, that
L.A. Law is and will continue to be the great enabler of our
technological future.

Come see what pixelastic surgery is !!