Subject: February 10, Special Digital Signal Processing Seminar
From: Shuvra Bhattacharyya <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 1994 01:00:05 -0800

Special Digital Signal Processing Seminar
3:00 - 4:00pm Thursday, February 10, 1994
Hughes Room, 400 Cory Hall

Stochastic Image Modeling For Image Enhancement

Robert L. Stevenson
Laboratory for Image and Signal Analysis
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
[email-masked]

ABSTRACT
________

As a result of their mathematical  simplicity,  linear  operators
have  long been the primary tool for signal and image processing.
With the need for improved performance, increasingly more sophis-
ticated  algorithms  have  been  devised.  Yet despite their many
practical applications,  there  are  several  important  problems
which can not be satisfactorily addressed with just linear opera-
tors.  In situations where the signal  of  interest  has  discon-
tinuities,  a  linear  operator  will tend to smooth such discon-
tinuities, leading to lower signal resolution and poorer  perfor-
mance.   Another  important  situation  occurs when the noise en-
vironment contains  large  impulses  which  corrupt  the  signal;
linear  operators  are  not effective in removing such contamina-
tion.

This talk will discuss a nonlinear estimation technique for  pro-
ducing  high  quality  signal  estimates.   The problem is stated
within the framework of maximum a  posteriori  (MAP)  estimation.
Appropriate signal and noise models are developed so that stable,
high-resolution and robust signal estimates can be computed.  Ex-
amples  will be shown from the area of image processing and novel
computational structures  for  high-speed  real-time  computation
will be discussed.
____________________
Administrative requests regarding this seminar should be sent to
[email-masked].

Abstracts for the DSP seminar are available by anonymous ftp
from ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu. They are stored in the 
directory ~ftp/pub/misc/dsp-seminar-abstracts.

From [email-masked] Fri Nov  4 14:54:30 1994
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 14:53:07 -0800
From: Dianna Bolt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Strategic Directions Seminars
Status: RO

What follows is the schedule for the remaining talks
to be given in the EECS Strategic Directions Seminar:
The seminar is held on Wednesdays at noon, in 306 Soda Hall.
Light refreshments are served.

Nov. 9th -  Carol Christ
	    Vice Chancellor
	    University of California, Berkeley

Nov. 16th - Andy Rappaport
	    Technological Research Group of Boston

Nov. 23rd - no seminar

Nov. 30th - C.V. Shank
	    Director
	    Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory